As 2015 draws to a close Juniper Research has drawn up a list of predictions for the coming year, all neatly wrapped up as the top trends for the technologies industries for 2016.
Juniper has identified 2016 as the watershed year for VR headsets, both in terms of product launches and consumer roll outs. Oculus, Sony, and HTC are amongst the leading players expected to launch key VR products over the next 12 months. The recent attention to and investment into virtual reality is helping to revitalise the industry and with major brand commercial launches imminent, there is huge potential for rapid market expansion.
As a result, Juniper expects significant VR uptake over the next 5 years as consumers benefit from a combination of improved VR technology allied to immersive applications, as well as reduced prices. Consequently, the technology is now poised to transform the entertainment industry, including gaming and video, over coming years whilst offering the potential to quickly expand into other markets such as industrial and healthcare.
Top Ten Tech Predictions for 2016
- Virtual Reality – a watershed year.
- Consumer robotics becomes a reality
- Wearables go to work
- The race for 5G begins
- Many devices, one platform
- Blockchain technology embraced by financial institutions
- Hybrid console & cloud gaming gathers pace
- eSports delivers significant new revenues for the games market
- New security models emerge
- Crowdfunding Fires StartUp Growth